I just spent three months renewing my dedication to children while teaching in a Montessori toddler classroom. Based on that transformative experience, I want to suggest, once again, this list of resolutions for teachers (and parents).
- Stay positive and loving, come what may.
- Listen carefully and try to hear the hidden messages behind words.
- Never hold a grudge for anything a child has done.
- Keep the boundaries for good behavior firm, but in a loving way.
- Praise good behavior more often than saying “don’ts”.
- Don’t blame yourself for meltdowns. This skill is an acquired one.
- Take time out to study child development.
- Take good care of yourself.
- Follow the child into amazing landscapes of their minds and hearts.
- If you find you don’t really enjoy children, change your profession.
When they hug you, it is a gift from God.